This month, we invite you all to focus on how important it is to make informed choices regarding food and continue to develop wide-ranging eating and physical activity habits! Let’s start with a goal for this week: Eat a Variety of Nutritious Foods Every Day!
- Consume healthy foods from ALL food groups
- Ensure adequate hydration
- Learn how to read the nutrition facts label
- Utilize portion control
- Enjoy your food-don’t rush through meals!
Variety is key to maintaining a healthy diet. Including foods from all food groups gives your body a chance to soak up nutrients across the board! This week, try eating a new food that maybe you haven’t had before and see how you like it. When planning meals, it is also helpful to eat a wide color range of foods because different colored foods have different nutritional benefits.
For example, red, purple and blue plant based foods have a flavonoid called “anthocyanins” which are antioxidants that can fight free radicals, and provide anti-inflammatory, anti-viral and anti-cancer benefits. Bright yellow and orange foods like carrots contain “carotenoids” that can support eye health and enhance your immune system.
Try This Yummy Recipe!
- 2 Tbsp Olive Oil (divided)
- 1 ½ C sliced mushrooms
- 4 Large Eggs
- 6 C Kale (ribs removed, packed) * can sub spinach if desired
- 2 C grape or cherry tomatoes, cut in halves
- 2 slices cooked & chopped bacon * can sub turkey bacon if desired
- 2 tsp Dijon Mustard
- ¼ C Shredded Parmesan Cheese
- 4 Slices Toasted Whole Grain Bread
- 2 Tbsp. Butter
- Heat oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add mushrooms to skillet and sauté for 5 minutes. Meanwhile, spray a separate skillet with cooking spray and heat over medium-low heat; add eggs and cook to desired doneness.
- Add onion to skillet with mushrooms and continue to cook until softened, 2-3 additional minutes. Stir in kale, tomatoes, bacon and mustard and cook until kale is just wilted. Remove from heat.
- Divide mixture among four bowls. Top each with 1 teaspoon Parmesan and an egg. Serve immediately with one slice of toast per serving. If desired, spread each slice of toast with 1/2 tablespoon butter.